Now officially past the Winter Solstice and Christmas presents unpacked, it’s time to get out and enjoy the best of Chicago has to offer! Here are some of Jen and Adele’s best picks for holiday and winter enjoyment!
-The Two Door Group
- Zoo lights – through Jan 6 at The Lincoln Park Zoo. The one-of-a-kind experience offers fun, free, family-oriented holiday celebrations that feature luminous displays and incredible seasonal activities…all under the glow of 2.5 million lights!
- Christmas Around the World – through Jan 6 at The Museum of Science and Industry – the Museum’s beloved annual celebration features a four-story, floor-to-dome Grand Tree, surrounded by a forest of more than 50 trees and displays decorated by volunteers to represent the holiday traditions from cultures around the globe.
- Ice Skating – through March 10 at Millennium Park – Skate under the Chicago skyline and within eyeshot of the Chicago Christmas Tree at the McCormick Tribune Ice Rink in Millennium Park. Admission to the rink is free, and you can rent skates for $13–$15.
- Polar Express Amtrak – through Jan 1 at Union Station (use promo code 12DAYS for $12 off tickets Dec 26-Jan1). Relive the magic of this classic holiday story with your family on a real train! Each ticket includes fantastic entertainment, hot chocolate, a cookie, and a keepsake sleigh bell to bring home. Families are encouraged to wear their pajamas for the ride!
- Best bars with fireplaces – From TimeOut, grab a table, order a drink and curl up next to the 44 best fireplaces and fire pits in Chicago.
Sports & Theater
- Best bars to watch the Bears playoff games – Bear Down! The Bears last made the playoffs in 2010 (when they lost the Conference Championship). Here’s the Trib’s list of bars & restaurants where fans can enjoy specials on food and drink during Bears game days.
- It’s a Wonderful Life – through Dec 30th, $40 – This heartwarming classic is a live radio play — a show within a show. It’s December 24, 1946 in Studio A at WBFR Radio, and a cast of six actors is preparing to present It’s a Wonderful Life live to the listening audience. A yearly favorite, must see!
New Years Eve
- Best NYE concerts – Ring in 2019 from the moshpit. This year, local hip-hop star Noname headlines a three-night homecoming at Thalia Hall, Swedish DJ duo Galantis takes over the Aragon and stalwart indie-rockers Guided By Voices take the stage at Bottom Lounge. Find the best year-end rock, rap and electronic shows with TimeOut’s guide to Chicago’s New Year’s Eve concert lineup.